English Reflections 4

I refer to the article titled ‘Getting the young to bite into their fruit and veggies’ (http://health.asiaone.com/Health/News/Story/A1Story20070822-22777.html)
This article mainly talks about a recent survey conducted by the HPB (health promotion board) on secondary school students to find out their daily health dietary behavior. Results showed that young Singaporeans now have poor diets with less than 50% of them having two servings of vegetables and fruits a day. To solve this problem, the HDB started running programmes to help the young to start picking up the proper health diet. For instance, rewarding system was introduced in primary schools to encourage the students.
Firstly I thought this ‘solution’ introduced by the HDB was a rather meaningful one. For I believe that having a healthy diet for any individual is very important. It affects almost everything, from academic to social life. A simple example would be attendance in school. No healthy diet- low metabolism- sick – skipping school- lagging behind in studies. With this I praise the HDB for their efforts.
However, I also believed that there is always room for improvement for everything. This scenario is no exception. For the teens to adopt a healthy dietary not only does the school and the society has to contribute, the family has a part to play as well. Even if the school has perfect systems to help the young, without the support of family, all would be meaningless. Good habits are to be set at a young age and it is the responsibilities for parents to guide them. With these, I thought that maybe HDB could spend some focus in the family aspect as well. Not only school wise.
Also, I cannot help and question the HDB. Isn’t taking action now a bit too late? Is there suppose to such a problem surfacing at all when the role of HDB is to ensure that Singaporeans in general has a healthy dietary? Isn’t the best way to counter a problem is to make sure the problem does not take place at all in the first place? With these questions, I believe maybe the HDB could be more efficient in fulfilling their roles.
BUT, I cannot fully blame the HDB as mentioned earlier it takes two hands to clap. If the family do not cooperate HDB’s measures cannot carry out and vice versa. Only when the two sides work together can solutions be carried out flawlessly and efficiently.
This article mainly talks about a recent survey conducted by the HPB (health promotion board) on secondary school students to find out their daily health dietary behavior. Results showed that young Singaporeans now have poor diets with less than 50% of them having two servings of vegetables and fruits a day. To solve this problem, the HDB started running programmes to help the young to start picking up the proper health diet. For instance, rewarding system was introduced in primary schools to encourage the students.
Firstly I thought this ‘solution’ introduced by the HDB was a rather meaningful one. For I believe that having a healthy diet for any individual is very important. It affects almost everything, from academic to social life. A simple example would be attendance in school. No healthy diet- low metabolism- sick – skipping school- lagging behind in studies. With this I praise the HDB for their efforts.
However, I also believed that there is always room for improvement for everything. This scenario is no exception. For the teens to adopt a healthy dietary not only does the school and the society has to contribute, the family has a part to play as well. Even if the school has perfect systems to help the young, without the support of family, all would be meaningless. Good habits are to be set at a young age and it is the responsibilities for parents to guide them. With these, I thought that maybe HDB could spend some focus in the family aspect as well. Not only school wise.
Also, I cannot help and question the HDB. Isn’t taking action now a bit too late? Is there suppose to such a problem surfacing at all when the role of HDB is to ensure that Singaporeans in general has a healthy dietary? Isn’t the best way to counter a problem is to make sure the problem does not take place at all in the first place? With these questions, I believe maybe the HDB could be more efficient in fulfilling their roles.
BUT, I cannot fully blame the HDB as mentioned earlier it takes two hands to clap. If the family do not cooperate HDB’s measures cannot carry out and vice versa. Only when the two sides work together can solutions be carried out flawlessly and efficiently.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home